United Poles FCU: Last-Minute Tax Tips

United Poles Federal Credit Union I Finances
March 30, 2022

It’s time to file your tax return! Before you do, though, read through our list of last-minute tax tips.

United Poles FCU: Last-Minute Tax Tips

Consider filing electronically

The IRS e-file is available to all taxpayers, and many people can file electronically at no cost.

Re-check your Social Security numbers

Make sure every Social Security number on your return, including your own, your partner’s and each of your dependent’s, is correctly listed. Check that the SSNs related to claims for Child and Dependent Care Credit or Earned Income Tax Credit are accurate as well.

Don’t forget any deductions

Here are some of the deductions people often forget to take:

  • The home office deduction.
  • Out-of-pocket charitable contributions, such as the cost of meal prep for the help you do at a soup kitchen or gas used while driving to a charity drop off.
  • Student loan interest you’ve paid, or that someone has paid on your behalf.
  • Claim the full Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit. The American Rescue Plan increases the Child and Dependent Care Credit and makes it fully refundable. The changes to the Child and Dependent Care Credit that apply only for tax year 2021 include:
    • The highest credit percentage increased to 50% of qualifying expenses.
    • Qualifying child and dependent care expenses increased from $3,000 to $8,000 for one qualifying dependent, and from $6,000 to $16,000 for two or more qualifying individuals.
    • The adjusted gross income (AGI) level at which the credit percentage starts being reduced increased to $125,000.

Double-check your figures

If you are filing a paper return, double-check that you have correctly calculated the refund or balance due.

Get your return in on time

If you won’t be ready to file your return by April 18, you’ll need to request an extension. It’s important to note, though, that an extension to file does not include an extension for payment.

Sign your form

Don’t forget to sign and date your form, and to also have your partner sign if you’re filing jointly. If you’ve hired someone to prepare your return, have the preparer sign the form and enter their Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN).

It’s tax time! Use the tips outlined here to maximize your refund and ensure there are no mistakes on your tax return.

United Poles Federal Credit Union

Banks, Credit Unions

412 New Brunswick Avenue
Perth Amboy, NJ
tel: Click phone# to call and tell them you found their ad in Polish Pages


Find an article


Add your business to our directory

Do you have a business?

  1. Register an account
  2. Add info for easy finding
  3. Get new customers

Copyright © 1999-2024 POLONIJNA KSIĄŻKA, a Polish Pages, Inc. company. All rights reserved. While we have made every effort to ensure the accuracy and clarity of the information presented in this catalog, we cannot be held liable for any errors or inconsistencies. Unauthorized duplication of any part of this catalog is prohibited. These materials may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The publishers are not responsible for the content of published advertisements, articles and comments. Opinions contained in articles express the opinion of the authors and do not have to be in accordance with the position of the publishers. All advertisements designed by POLISH PAGES, INC. are copyrighted and can only be used in POLISH PAGES, INC. publications.